Welcome Pupils, Parents, and Carers!
We are so proud of our children at Sparrow Farm to see how quickly they have adapted to our online learning platform this Spring Term. This wouldn’t have been possible without your support and we value our parental partnership. These are difficult times and we all know staying at home is the best thing to do for now and we are all looking forward to some normality soon.
Our topic for this term is “Africa – An amazing continent” and in our online lessons we will share informative texts and videos to ensure enhanced remote learning. Our regular google meets will give children an opportunity to share their learning experience on a daily basis. Independent tasks will be planned as a follow up on the daily lessons. We are constantly reviewing our plans and lessons to ensure children receive highly interactive lessons and that learning is exciting for them whilst at home.
Please support remote learning by:
- Following the daily timetable on google classroom
- Uploading your child’s work on google classroom when completed
- Making sure your child does their daily phonics, as we introduce a new sound every day. We would like your child to revisit the previous taught sounds from phases 2,3 and 4 and we will posts various links for phonics games and activities
- Daily reading on Bug club and Oxford Owl. If you don’t have your login details please email email@example.com
- Practicing weekly spellings and use these words to write sentences
- Supporting maths with hands on activities at home planned for the children. Our focus this term will be number bonds to 10/20 and understanding place value of two digit numbers (tens and ones)
- Supporting writing tasks which will be linked to our topic this term. We will be reading fiction and non-fiction books linked to the African continent. Follow up activities will include writing sentences using capital letters, full stops and adjectives.
- Supporting your child in science lessons so they understand the technical vocabulary linked to the different types of animals. Our lessons will reinforce the key vocabulary used in the lessons especially different diets such as herbivores, carnivores and omnivores.
- Making sure your child does some kind of daily physical exercise to keep fit. We will be posting links daily to support their PE at home.
- Being creative and uploading videos or photos of your child reading a book, doing a maths activity, sharing a model they might have made for the African topic so we can all celebrate their work on google classroom.
If you have any queries please email Year1 team: firstname.lastname@example.org